What is the REACH Revision?
Under the European Green Deal (2019) and the Chemicals Strategy for Sustainability “CSS” (2020) the European Commission aims to revise the rules governing the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of chemicals in the EU, as currently set out in Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 (REACH). This REACH Revision aims to further improve the protection of human health and the environment against hazardous chemicals and to encourage innovation to develop safe and sustainable alternatives.
Potential obligations for EU REACH registrants ( EU Manufacturers/Formulators, EU Importers and EU based Only Representatives)
Based on the current information, the REACH Revision could result in the following new duties:
- New registration requirements for certain polymers of concern
- Update of existing registration dossiers to reflect enhanced information requirements / scrutiny
- Chemical Safety Report in all tonnage bands (incl. 1-10 tonnes per year)
- Stricter requirements for intermediates
- Electronic formats for Safety Data Sheets (SDSs)
- Update SDSs and Exposure Scenarios, incl. as result of new Mixture Assessment Factors
- Compliance with broad REACH restrictions, especially group-based
- Reporting to ECHA by downstream users of Candidate List substances
- Response to tightening enforcement – “Zero Tolerance Approach to Non-Compliance”
Note that additional obligations may arise from the parallel CLP Revision and the new Ecodesign for Sustainable Products Regulation.
At REACHLaw we are following closely on the developments regarding the REACH Revision and therefore if you would like to know how the REACH Revision might impact your business do not hesitate to contact us.
More information on the REACH Revision can be found here.